Saturday, May 14, 2011

Feb 2011 joam mead

2-12-11 getting ready to “brew” for the first time this year. Gonna be a mead. A small batch. I guess its called Joes ancient orange mead. It was made at the club sometime last year and I just loved it. Mike made a mead, and it just pushed me over the edge. I need to be a mead maker

2-11-11
Went to HoH to get some supplies. Picked up a pArty pig vessel to use a primary for the 1 gallon mead batches. And also got the smaller gallon sized siphon tube.

2-12-11
just getting ready to start the mead. Using the "Joes ancient orange mead" recipe.

3 lbs honey
2 cloves
25 raisins (yep I counted)
Some nutmeg not very much
1 cinnamon stick
1 orange cut up and jammed in there
And a tsp and 1/2 bread yeast

I'm gonna probably rack it even though it says not to, so gonna make just a tad bigger than a gallon.
Just added everything to the Party Pig and shook the crap out of it.
Then added the yeast.
Just a note: I used spring water from wal mart. Wouldn't normally, but it's a small batch
I put the pig and a jug of hot water in my chamber. It raised the fermentation temp to 70.

2-13-11
Checked on the mead. Fermentation is on!
The hot water has now cooled and the chamber is holding steady at 62.
There is alot less mass fermenting and creating heat so it's gonna stay a bit low in there. I will keep an eye on, but the basement is warming up now. It's 58 down here.
Can't smell anything like you can with beer. I'm guessing I don't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment